Search

Hand Holding vs Kissing

(First things first. Guys, do not take this entry to mean that all girls feel the same way I do. Maybe some do. Heck if I know. I mostly talk to dudes about dating these days.)

Most nights while I lay in bed waiting to fall asleep, I think about my day. I think about work, friends, family, decorating ideas for my apartment, etc. but I always end up thinking about one thing. Given the predicament I find myself in at this point in my life, as much as I hate to admit it, dating is on my mind a lot. Lots of random thoughts come to my mind like:

  • How do you know if you really love someone?
  • Is there really someone out there capable of loving me for who I am?
  • What does (insert any random action by the opposite gender) mean?
  • Do I already know the person I'm going to spend the rest of my life with?
  • What can I do to improve my love life and dating experience?

Dating is not easy. Why? Because love is an ugly, terrible business practiced by fools. It'll trample your heart and leave you bleeding on the floor. And what does it really get you in the end? Nothing but a few incredible memories that you can't ever shake. (Quoted from my favorite romantic comedy "Little Manhattan"). But that's not exactly what I wanted this post to focus on. So moving right along...

As I was laying in bed last night, I was thinking about numerous things, including physical actions one may participate in with the opposite gender (such as holding hands, cuddling, kissing, back rubs, etc) and what they might mean to people. Given recent events in my life, I have reevaluated many, many things. I had a good conversation with myself in my head last night regarding this issue. What do all these acts mean to me? I won't share everything (cuz the last thing I want to do is bore you and I'm not that much of an open book. I'm not putting myself way out there for the world to see), but I will focus on two things that really got me thinking last night and my conclusions about them. 

  • Kissing - I love kissing. I think its fan-freaking-tastic. Don't misinterpret what I am about to say into meaning that I don't like kissing. Because, holy crap, I like it a lot. But honestly, I do not understand why people make kissing such a big deal. I don't really get why some people wait to have their first kiss with their significant other until their wedding day. To make is special? That doesn't make ANY sense to me. I don't understand why people put such a big value on kissing. The movie "Enchanted" has a whole song about true love's kiss and I don't get it. I just don't. Seeing fireworks when you kiss someone? Huh, what does that mean? People kiss each other all the time! You kiss your mother, people in Europe kiss each other in greeting, Mommy kisses your boo-boos, people kiss the Pope's ring, people kiss old people on the head when they are sick or dead. I just don't get the big deal, apparently. 

But this leads me to why I think I might be the weirdest person ever....

  • Hand Holding - Holding someone's hand means WAY more to me than kissing them. I think I developed this idea after many years observing my parents who are always holding hands. I just think it means more. For me, it gives more excitement and makes me feel more loved. Its more of an emotional thing rather than a physical thing, which to me is WAY more important in a relationship. Holding hands is more sensual and more meaningful. It's a sign of unity and gives one the feeling of being one with that other person. Ok, look. I seriously hate PDA. I wrote an entire post about how much I hate PDA. There is nothing worse than having to sit behind a couple cuddling in church or walking past a couple making out on campus. But guess what? Holding hands is perfectly acceptable. It sends a message to onlookers that you have respect for your surroundings but at the same time, you want to show off that person to the world. I dunno if anyone else feels the same way I do. All I know is if a guy starts holding my hand, he better stop holding anyone else's. 

So yeah. I think that pretty much covers it. Have a lovely day! :)